Saturday, December 27, 2008

Not a creature was stirring...but I was knitting until the eleventh hour!

I hope you all had a merry christmas or a happy holiday with some good knitting time. I decided at the last second this year that in order to make the Redskins fans in my family a bit happier after this season, we needed hand knitted hats. There's nothing like a knitted hat for some comfort, right?

Well, here they are. The hats took about three fourths of a skein of cascade 220 in burgundy, and I've used probably half of a skein of gold. Three hats later...

skinshat3

skinshats2

The first picture is my baby brother, Will. He's seventeen but I still think of him as a toddler. The second pic is my brother, Robert, and sister-in-law, Dena. I especially like the football prop in that picture. For the guys, I did a really simple hat- cast on 90 stitches on size 7 DPNs, 2X2 rib for 1 inch and then stockinette until the hat was 8 inches tall. Then quick decreases and done. I stitched the Rs on the hats after they were done. Dena's hat is based on this one. I added a big pom pom- my first knitted pom pom ever. I think these hats will bring us luck on sunday and next season. My aunt already has requested one. Anyone else?

I also had a last minute golf club cozy that someone requested. The quickest knit ever out of Cascade 128 and size 10 DPNs.

golfclubcozy2

I normally give my mom a sweater at Christmas, and this year I kinda didn't estimate enough time to make her a new one. Luckily, she loves my Jane Slicer-Smith sweater that just never looked right on me. It fits her perfectly and she's gotten tons of compliments.

mummy's sweater

mummy's sweater 2

Here is the pattern photo.

jss-58-frt

It's a surprisingly quick knit- the mitered squares do take a while but it's a really fun pattern. It's knit in Merino Sei- one of my favorite yarns ever. We have lots of colors in the shop.

Here is an adorable picture of Henry, one of Jane and Todd's twins, in his hoodie.

Henry 2

Here is Jane's Blog if you want to see how cute these kids are. Henry and Owen, such great names!

Here are my new Colinette Jitterbug socks...such gorgeous yarn and they feel so cozy.

colinette jitterbug

I received some incredible things this Christmas- thank you very much, everyone! My kitchen now has nice pots and pans and new utensils, I got some very pretty alpaca from New Jersey that I'm looking forward to knitting up into a cabled something...and I got this:

The Ganz

Yes, it's a portrait of the love of my life, Gansey the dog. My mom found this artist to paint it. She also did Robert and Dena's dog, Brooklyn.

Brooklyn

I'll post again soon with updates. Come see us this weekend! Now that holiday knitting is done, what are you knitting for yourself?

1 comment:

Shana said...

Some of us are still working on holiday knitting... :) (It's ok -- there are two days of Chanukah left!) Liz's Christmas sweater is just a cuff so far... She kindly offered that her birthday isn't for 6 months. :)

Contributors

Stats