Sunday, November 8, 2009

Baby Genders

Twin presents:

DSC_0391

Yes, I know I'm missing a hat. I finished hat #2 this morning and will get it in the mail this week.

Here is the twin mama:

DSC_0390

I predict, officially, one boy and one girl. I have a sixth sense, people.

I have been thinking a lot about how we make clothes for babies in this country. Most of my friends who are pregnant are finding out genders. I LOVE THIS. This makes me way more able to make things for the little munchkin(s). When my friends don't find out the gender before the birth, they have closets full of gender neutral colors. For yesterday's twin shower, I used a lot of yellow and green. What happens if it is two girls and those girls really want some pink in their wardrobe?

According to Vintage Knits, girls used to wear blue and boys used to wear pink. Pink was thought to be more aggressive. Then, World War I happened and the blue of the uniforms transformed baby knitting as we know it. By mid century, knitting for boys was officially blue.

But, why can girls wear blue but boys can't wear pink?

Also, there is an issue with the actual garment to knit. One would never knit a boy a february baby sweater.

So, I've made a decision. As of today, if my dear friends and/or family are going to wait until the big day to find out their baby's gender, then I'm going to wait to knit the baby's gift until he or she is born. It's only fair to the baby! (Ok, actually this is very selfish of me, and I understand that, but people it is HARD to pick out something that would look great on both a girl and a boy.)

Any comments?

No comments:

Contributors

Stats