Sunday, November 16, 2008

A confession, today at the shop, and F.O.s

I have to make a confession: I'm obsessed with a garment I found in Nicky Epstein's new book, Knitting on top of the World. I saw it last week and I've spent the last seven days dreaming about it. What color would I knit it in? Will I look insane wearing it (compared to my usual cabled sweater, jeans, and clogs)? Will I look incredibly stylish walking on the downtown mall in it? I need your help...what do you think?

11-16 035


Yes, I took a picture of the picture.

I don't think I'd do it in yellow. I'm thinking blue...but then again, I want to be able to wear my staple black tights with it. Since it will take 22 or so balls of Classic Elite Bazic, I've got some time to think about it. You must understand that this is a dress based on a Gansey sweater and my beloved dog is named Gansey, after my first sweater. But for now I've got a bunch of custom jobs to finish up- including two hats for soon to be born twins! But please vote on the sidebar on the dress...

We had a great day of visitors and projects. Heidi entertained us for at least an hour with her bag full of knitted objects. This is so cool- she has a sweater that her Norwegian grandmother knitted her father and she is copying it for her sister out of Peruvia.

Dad's sweater...

11-16 023



Copy of Dad's sweater...



11-16 021



both together...



11-16 024



We had some visitors from Oh Susannah who use yarn to wrap gifts for the holidays and to hang ornaments. That's so cute! What a great crafty idea...



11-16 033



Les objets finis...


Here is baby Eli in his perfect little sweater and socks made of Baby Blatt (Anny Blatt, that is, tres chic) by his grandmother, Mary. Tres bien fait!



Nov 1 038



A great winter hat...



Nov 1 032



A visitor to Cville and her cape made of leftovers...



Nov 1 031



Margaret and her Mountain Colors cardi...



Nov 1 005



Jane Slicer-Smith Mitered Vee Cape



11-12 018



11-12 019


So I think that's it for tonight, but stay tuned. We've got a lot going on at the shop and remember to email me photos of your knitting!

5 comments:

Shana said...

My advice is to try to find something similar at a local store and try it on first to see how you like it. I think it will look best if it's somewhat fitted. One concern I have is that it might stretch out as you wear it (I've heard that some knitted skirts lose their shape throughout the day). But it's exciting looking and it will be really fun to do something different and knit a dress!

Denise said...

i'd go charcoal or a dark taupe
and i'd skip the tartan tights -- but it's gorgeous

Ellen said...

Ooooh, ECarey, you totally have to knit that. It's superfun.

Norwegian Knitter said...

Thanks for your help with my Norwegian sweater. I finished reinforcing the steeks. I have been trying to build the courage to make the cuts for the past 5 days. So say some prayers for me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jane said...

1. That dress?? I'm not so sure. Might be comfy. Might be lame. I am leaning toward lame. The model looks good in it. But what about a normal person???
2. Who is having twins????

Contributors

Stats